Skip to main content
Your life is my Inspiration leading to a new beginning


On a windy evening a middle aged man was standing atop tall building with a cigarette in his hand. He was looking at the sky and pulling his last puff. He walked towards the dustbin near the wall and dumped his cigarette with a sarcastic smile.


He spotted a shadow moving towards him and turned back to see a young man walking towards the wall. The young man greeted him, placed both his hands and said “everything looks small”. The middle aged man said “nothing is small or big; it depends on where we are standing”


The Young man turned and with a smile said “you are right sir”


The Young man asked “what brings you to the terrace of this building?" The middle aged man looked at the cigarette bud and said I wanted take my last puff of cigarette.


Young man “Have you decided to quit smoking”?


Middle aged man replied “I have decided to quit this world”


Young man “you too sir”


Middle aged man “what do you mean by you too?”


Young man “Yes sir, There is no point in living in this world where people don’t understand people”


Middle aged man “you are right”


Young man “can I know the reason, why you have taken this decision”


Middle aged man pulled his cigarette packet from his pocket and was surprised to see it was empty with a pained smile on his face; he dumped it in the dustbin.  Young man moved towards him and offered his cigarette Packet; the middle aged man picked one and thanked him.


Young man helped him in lighting the cigarette and he also picked a cigarette, both of them went to the edge of the wall and the middle aged man started narrating his life.


I was born in a very poor family, struggled to get educated but my flair towards education got me scholarships. I took up part time jobs to fund for my graduation as well as post-graduation and landed up in my dream job and found my dream girl too.


I was growing in the corporate ladder with handsome compensation as well as business induced stress. One day I decided to quit and start my own venture. In a week's time I took the plunge and started a venture in which I had some proficiency. I could not run it successfully. My wealth eroded and debts started mounting.


Arguments in the family on the one hand and pressure from money lenders on the other led to frustration reaching the boiling point. My wife not being able to stand my harassment served a quit notice. I was alone with loans and no sign of improvements in my business. Finally I decided, instead of killing myself on a daily basis, I decided to die once for all.


The Young man threw his cigarette bud in the dustbin and asked the middle age man “Sir when you started with nothing and climbed the Corporate success ladder, what made you to go there?’


Middle aged man “Confidence and willingness to achieve in simple words, burning desire”


Young man “That day you had a burning desire to grow, but today you had burnt your desire to bounce back”


Middle aged man looked at the young man and asked “Are you trying to change my mind?”


Young man said  “No sir, I don’t have that age and experience. In fact, after  listening to your life story I decided not to end my life, You started with nothing, you become something but some decisions of yours landed you in a mess.


I was born with a silver spoon and I never knew the meaning of being poor. I didn’t go through the kind of problem you went through, it was a matter of losing my lover due to some misunderstanding. All I need to do is come to terms with myself and wait for some time to help her understand me better.


Thanks for helping me and preventing a irreversible foolish decision.


Middle aged man “Mine was not a great story to inspire”


Young man “The words burning desire, has given me a new lease of life, I had the burning desire to  marry her and it took more than three years for me persuade her, but today all I need is the burning desire to prove my innocence."


Young man just walked towards staircase and suddenly turned to see what the middle aged man was doing. To his surprise he saw him walking towards the stairs.


The Young man man asked “What happened?”


Middle aged man “Thanks for lighting my cigarette and rekindling my desire to live”


Both were climbing down to the elevator point

Thanks to my friend Mr. Kesavan for helping me to edit and fine tune this story.

Written by: M.L.Narendra Kumar⁠⁠⁠⁠

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

அப்பாற்பட்டது காவியம் காலத்துக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது உண்மை உணர்ச்சிக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது பெண்மை கடவுளுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது மனிதாபிமானின் மேதைக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது தலைமை தலைவனுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது புரட்சி அரசியலுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது உறவுகள் உடமைக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது அனுபவம் கல்விக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது நடப்பு செல்வதற்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது எம் எல் . நரேந்திர குமார்

Less than a Minute Life Lesson-2407 Character and Competency

  Less than a Minute Life Lesson-2407 Character and Competency Competency alone will not lead to long-term success, and character alone will not help us achieve great things.   To shine in life, we should embrace both character and competence. M.L. Narendra Kumar Director Instivate Learning Solutions PVT LTD www.instivatelearning.in

Less than a minute Life Lesson -2380 Overly Protective

  Less than a minute Life Lesson -2380 Overly Protective When we overly protect our children, we indirectly instill dependency and fear. This protection can become a burden on us and others later on. M.L. Narendra Kumar Director Instivate Learning Solutions PVT LTD www.instivatelearning.in