Skip to main content
Monk on Appraisal Part-1- Junior

A monk was in a meditative state and a junior corporate employee sits opposite the monk. The monk opens his eyes after few minutes and the conversation starts…

Monk: How can I help you gentleman?
Junior: I want to get a good appraisal
Monk: Smiles, it is not there in my hands
Junior: I know that, I wanted some ideas to get a good appraisal
Monk: You are in the wrong place
Junior: I’m sure with your wisdom, you can help me
Monk: Smiles, OK let me ask you a question are you here to learn how to get a good appraisal or how to manage yourself after the appraisal?
Junior: Both
Monk: With a sarcastic smile, ok. When you work for appraisal you are restricting yourself to performance matrix, hence the essence of enjoying the work reduces. When you focus on your rating, you have decided to work for others and hence you have disconnected with your purpose and alerted your thoughts to suit others. This might not help you in the long run and hence you will feel the pressure of appraisal.
Junior: Master, it is confusing
Monk: It should, it will, clarity comes after confusion
Junior: Can you put it simple words
Monk: Enjoy your job, see the learning in every aspect of your job, and rewrite your CV every year, you will know who you are.
Junior: Am I right in assuming that “I should focus on what I want and leave the rest”?
Monk: Do it
Junior: When the appraisal is favourable to me, I’m happy, if it is not I feel disappointed, how can I handle such situation?
Monk: That’s the way humans should behave. Happiness at one end and disappointment at other end is an indication that you are normal. Then why you should feel bad?
Junior: My question was how to handle disappointments?
Monk: Avoid taking appointment with disappointment, I mean accept the fact that you cannot be the best every time.
Junior: Thought I do a good job and I personally feel I deserve something better, in such situations how can I take it easily?
Monk: Are you prepared to die when you are old?
Junior: I should, but …
Monk: When you are ready for happiness, you should also be ready for disappointments
Junior: Sometimes my manager, knows I did a good job, but system is not favoring me
Monk: During Christmas it is jingle bells, during appraisals it is bell curves, and I pity you. If system is favorable to us, we give credit to our hard work, when it is not we find fault with the system. If you want to change the system, you should aim to be a part of the team which develops the system.
Junior: If I am not promoted how can I be a part of the team that develops the system?
Monk: First of all, do you wanted to be promoted?
Junior: Yes, I do
Monk: will you play the role of a boss or a leader, when you are promoted?
Junior: I will play the role of leader when I’m promoted
Monk: When you cannot think and act like a leader in the role you play now how can you be a leader in a promoted role. It is like a player trying to play a game without practice.
Junior: I am able to understand what you are telling. Can you give me a suggestion on how to handle post appraisals which is not favourable to me?
Monk: Favourable or unfavourable is your perception. Remember your performance and behaviour was appraised not your personality. The only person who can appraise you is-You. We have a choice in life, either to listen to outer world and ruin ourselves or listen to our inner world and build our future.
Great entities are not symbol of luck; they are symbol of failures and determination similarly every individual is an entity who is capable of building entities.
Junior: This kind of conversation sounds good for a day or two, after that we are still negative, how can we implement such thoughts in our life?
Monk: Between a stale food and a fresh food, which one do you prefer?
Junior: I will go for fresh food
Monk: Why?
Junior: The purpose of food is to be healthy, how can I be healthy if I eat a stale food?
Monk: Similarly purpose of life is to be peaceful, how can you be peaceful with negative thoughts. When you use fresh food, why can’t you use fresh thoughts?
Junior: Thank you, I know that bell curve is not in my hands, but my life is in my hands.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

அப்பாற்பட்டது காவியம் காலத்துக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது உண்மை உணர்ச்சிக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது பெண்மை கடவுளுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது மனிதாபிமானின் மேதைக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது தலைமை தலைவனுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது புரட்சி அரசியலுக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது உறவுகள் உடமைக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது அனுபவம் கல்விக்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது நடப்பு செல்வதற்கு அப்பாற்பட்டது எம் எல் . நரேந்திர குமார்

Less than a Minute Life Lesson-2407 Character and Competency

  Less than a Minute Life Lesson-2407 Character and Competency Competency alone will not lead to long-term success, and character alone will not help us achieve great things.   To shine in life, we should embrace both character and competence. M.L. Narendra Kumar Director Instivate Learning Solutions PVT LTD www.instivatelearning.in

Less than a minute Life Lesson -2380 Overly Protective

  Less than a minute Life Lesson -2380 Overly Protective When we overly protect our children, we indirectly instill dependency and fear. This protection can become a burden on us and others later on. M.L. Narendra Kumar Director Instivate Learning Solutions PVT LTD www.instivatelearning.in