Skip to main content

How we communicate makes a difference.

 How we communicate makes a difference.

 

I checked into a Hotel in Madurai around 1 A.M.; after receiving my access card, the executive in the reception said, "Our complimentary buffet breakfast closes by 10 A.M." I didn't pay much attention to what he said. I entered the room to take a quick nap. The following day while I was on my regular walk, I pondered the executive's statement. I understood he was indirectly cautioning me to hit the breakfast in time due to my late arrival.

The purpose of my visit to Madurai was to deliver a session on selling and customer handling skills; since my mind was preoccupied with the program, I was reflecting on what the executive said in my communication skills module and was curious to convert this as a topic for discussion. During the conversation with the participants, I found that Madurai is a pilgrimage city; many hotels start an early buffet to help the senior citizens to have an early breakfast to avoid any health issues. Taking a clue from the participants, I was figuring out how the executive could have communicated the message without sounding aggressive.

Let's first revisit what the executive said, "Our complimentary buffet breakfast closes by 10 A.M", and let's understand how he could have said assertively – Since being a pilgrimage city, we start our breakfast early and close it by 10 A.M so that we can get ready for Lunch, I Request you to join us as per schedule to have our hot and sumptuous breakfast."

The hotel business comes under the hospitality industry, and guests expect professional behaviour, which is the minimum standard for joining a hotel.

Customers will forget the words but will remember the feelings; the executive had a tool to either make me feel good or bad, and it was his communication skills. Communication is not only about what is said but also about how it is said.

Though food and infrastructure are essential for the hotel business, hospitality repeatedly brings the customer back.

 

M.L.Narendra Kumar

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

அப்பாà®±்பட்டது காவியம் காலத்துக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது உண்à®®ை உணர்ச்சிக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது பெண்à®®ை கடவுளுக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது மனிதாபிà®®ானின் à®®ேதைக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது தலைà®®ை தலைவனுக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது புரட்சி அரசியலுக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது உறவுகள் உடமைக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது அனுபவம் கல்விக்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது நடப்பு செல்வதற்கு அப்பாà®±்பட்டது எம் எல் . நரேந்திà®° குà®®ாà®°்

Less than a Minute Life Lesson-2407 Character and Competency

  Less than a Minute Life Lesson-2407 Character and Competency Competency alone will not lead to long-term success, and character alone will not help us achieve great things.   To shine in life, we should embrace both character and competence. M.L. Narendra Kumar Director Instivate Learning Solutions PVT LTD www.instivatelearning.in

Less than a minute Life Lesson -2380 Overly Protective

  Less than a minute Life Lesson -2380 Overly Protective When we overly protect our children, we indirectly instill dependency and fear. This protection can become a burden on us and others later on. M.L. Narendra Kumar Director Instivate Learning Solutions PVT LTD www.instivatelearning.in