What Others Expect of You vs. What You Owe Yourself
What people expect from you is their choice. How you relate to them based on those expectations is your choice. Yes, it is good to fulfil others’ expectations—but not at the cost of your values, time, and individuality.
The more you focus on fulfilling others’ expectations, the less
you focus on yourself. Others should not matter more than your own worth. The
more you engage in fulfilling others’ expectations, the busier you become—but
the less productive you are for yourself.
Yet this does not mean every expectation is wrong or that you
should ignore everyone. Healthy relationships involve compromise, reciprocity,
and sometimes doing things for others even when it is inconvenient. Supporting
a friend in crisis, meeting a work deadline, or honouring a family commitment
can be reasonable and loving. The key is to distinguish reasonable, mutual
expectations from unreasonable demands that drain you or violate your values.
You are a social being, and relationships are vital. But you
also have a career and a personal life where you’re learning and growth matter.
Focusing on yourself isn't selfish; it is necessary to show up well for others
over the long term.
If you find yourself stressed because you are working to fulfill
others’ expectations and remain in their good books, take stock. Ask yourself:
·
Is this expectation reasonable?
·
Is it mutual, or am I the only
one giving?
·
Does it align with my values and
priorities?
·
Can I meet it without harming my
health, time, or responsibilities?
Then draw a line—and communicate it kindly. For example: “I can
help with this part, but I cannot take on the rest.” Or “I care about you, but
I need to focus on my own work this week.” Boundaries are not rejection; they
are instructions for a sustainable relationship.
In the end, you can care about others without abandoning
yourself. Fulfil what you can, refuse what you must, and stay true to who you
are.
M.L. Narendra Kumar
Comments
Post a Comment