The Three Pots of Knowledge
A monk instructed his disciple
to place three large pots. The first pot, on the monk’s left, had a lid. The
second was left open. The third had a tap attached.
The monk took a jug of water and
asked the audience, “Can I pour this water into the closed pot?” The audience
shook their heads, meaning no. The monk moved to the second pot and asked, “Can
I pour it into this pot?” The audience nodded, meaning yes. The monk slowly
filled it. He then asked, “Can I fill the third pot with water?” The audience
said yes, and the monk filled it to the brim.
The monk pointed to the first
pot and asked, “Can I take some water from this pot?” The audience said no. He
then asked, “Can I pour more water into the second pot, which is already full?”
The audience said no. He came to the third pot and asked, “Can I take some
water from this pot?” The audience said, “You can,” and one person added, “If
you open the tap, you can.” The monk did so.
Then the monk said, “These pots
are like banks of knowledge. The first is a closed pot that gains no knowledge,
whereas the second gains some knowledge but does not use or share it. If water
remains in a pot for a long time, it becomes dirty and worms may form in it.
Similarly, some people become stagnant; they do not refresh or replenish their
knowledge, so they become outdated and their competencies become irrelevant.
The third pot is like a bank where both withdrawals and deposits happen.
Withdrawals can be for oneself and for helping others.
My dear ladies and gentlemen, be
like the third pot: keep gaining knowledge, keep applying it, keep sharing it,
and keep refilling it. You will never feel stagnant or outdated in this
ever-changing world.”
M.L. Narendra Kumar

Comments
Post a Comment